ITC Conference grants
Info related to COVID-19 pandemic
The conference fees for online conferences are also eligible for the grant.
In the case of on site conferences where participants need to travel, ITC Conference grants’ applicants must check regularly the applicable travel rules of their home and host countries to make sure they can travel and the conference is indeed taking place as planned. Considering the current uncertainty, grantees are requested to take as many measures as possible to guarantee the reimbursement of their travel expenses in case a conference must be cancelled or changed to a virtual modality due to the pandemic evolution (accommodation booking with free cancellation, travel/cancellation insurance…).
What are ITC Conference Grants?
ITC Conference Grants provide support for conference participation of PhD students and ECIs (Early Career Investigators) researchers from participating ITCs (Inclusive Target Countries) to attend international science and technology related conferences not specifically organised by the COST Action. ITC Conference Grants are designed to reimburse costs of conferences attended by eligible Action participants.
Who can apply?
- Applicants must be Action’s members. Only PhD students or ECIs (Early Career Investigators: individuals who are within a time span of up to 8 years from the date they obtained their PhD/doctorate [full time equivalent]) with a primary affiliation in an institution located in a COST Action CA17126 participating ITC are eligible.
ITCs (Inclusive Target Countries) in CA17126 are: Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Turkey.
- Applicants must make an oral/poster presentation at the conference in question and be listed in the official event/conference programme.
- The main subject of the presentation must be on a topic relevant to COST Action CA17126.
- COST Action CA17126 should be acknowledged both in the book of abstracts and in the oral/poster presentation following COST guidelines. Examples of acknowledgements can be:
The author(s) acknowledge(s) COST (European Cooperation on Science and Technology) for funding the Action CA17126 “Toward Understanding and Modelling Intense Electronic Excitation (TUMIEE)” supporting this work.
This work benefited from networking activities carried out within the EU funded COST Action CA17126 “Toward Understanding and Modelling Intense Electronic Excitation” and represents a contribution to it.
A Conference Grant is a fixed financial contribution that takes into consideration the budget request of the applicant and the outcome of the evaluation of the application by ITC Coordinator.
Conference Grants do not necessarily cover all of the expenses related to participating in a given conference. A Conference Grant is a contribution to the overall travel, accommodation and meal expenses of the selected Grantee. The calculation of the financial contribution for each Conference Grant must respect the following criteria:
- Up to a maximum of EUR 2 500 in total can be afforded to each successful applicant;
- Up to a maximum of EUR 160 per day can be afforded for accommodation and meal expenses.
- Up to a maximum of EUR 500 can be claimed for the conference fees to be incurred by the selected Grantee.
In addition, when meal and accommodation expenses are supported by the hosting institution as part of the provisions offered in their conference package, the amount for subsistence afforded to each eligible participant must be deducted from the Grant. Documentary evidence of the conference fee amount must be provided by the applicant.
How to apply?
- Log into e-COST and click on the ITC Conference Grants tab.
Please note that the tab ‘ITC Conference Grants’ will not be available in the following cases:
- If the applicant’s e-COST profile is incomplete, they will first have to fill in the missing information (affiliation, education details, CV).
- If the primary affiliation of the applicant is not in an ITC country.
- If the Education details of the applicant do not demonstrate that (s)he is a PhD student or an ECI.
- Follow the steps in e-COST for ITC Conference Grant application, which includes the submission of: abstract of the conference contribution, letter/email of the abstract acceptance, short description of your involvement in COST Action CA17126.
Deadline for applications
This is a continuously open call. However, the conference must be held before the end of the Grant Period. Ideally, the application should be submitted at least 45 days before the conference start date.
NOTE: CURRENTLY, THERE’S NO OPEN CALL FOR APPLICATIONS. NEW CALLS FOR APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN SOON (estimated date: November/December 2021)
The selection of applicants is responsibility of the ITC Coordinator and is based on the following criteria:
- Scientific merit of the proposal based on the abstract submitted, also considering the scientific scope of the proposed participation and how it will support the Action in achieving its scientific objectives.
- Presentation of research activities developed in the frame of a collaborative project within two different COST Member Countries will be preferred.
- European conferences are preferred, although conferences held elsewhere can be considered.
- Applicants priory awarded with a Grant will have a lower priority.
- Geographical, gender and degree balance will be taken into consideration.
During the conference
Please, take some pictures and send them to email@example.com.
Grantees are encouraged to tweet from their own Twitter account during the conference, mentioning @ca17125, @COSTprogramme and any other relevant hashtag.
After the conference
The Grantee must submit a scientific report through e-COST within 30 calendar days from the end date of the conference (a template for the scientific report can be found in e-COST). The scientific report should include any relevant discussion or feedback for the talk given by the Grantee, information on relevant talks attended at the conference and interesting discussions. Pictures can be included. Length should be max 2 pages.
Payment of the Grant is subject to the submitted scientific report being approved by the ITC Coordinator.
The Grantee can be invited to share his/her results during the next Action meeting (General / WG meeting) upon funding availability.